-

Comments on Greek painting, art, contemporary thought

Our blog is an artistic, cultural guide to the Greek landscapes. At the same time it offers an introduction to the history of Greek fine arts, Greek artists, mainly Greek painters, as well as to the recent artistic movements

Our aim is to present the Greek landscapes in a holistic way: Greek landscapes refer to pictures and images of Greece, to paintings and art, to poetry and literature, to ancient philosophy and history, to contemporary thought and culture...
--
--
greek artists, contemporary thought, greek painters, literature, greek paintings, modern greek artists



Sunday, November 21, 2010

Comments & Greek artists, modern Greek artists: I Had Been Leaving Coast of Misty Albion...

Marina Tsvetaeva

I Had Been Leaving Coast of Misty Albion

"I had been leaving coast of misty Albion."
How divine they are - this sadness and this height!
I see the dingy waves fall down and rise on,
The dingy firmament... I know that all by hart.

I see the youth that leaned upon the high mast's rope,
As beautiful as if he were by fairies born,
Wrapped in a coat. O! Let every virgin sob!
Cry, manhood! Cry, my misty Albion!

It's done! He is alone between these sky and flow!
There is a school for you who have been ‘gainst schools all!
And in a fatal heart, pierced with a star's arrow,
There enters in the king of fatal winds - Aeoll!


The roar of dingy waves is making the new ballad
Of wonderful his death from stars that libeled him on
Cry, Youth! Cry, Love! Cry, World! O, sob my dear Aellad!
Cry, little Ada! Cry, my misty Albion!


Marina Tsvetaeva (1892-1941)

The Seafarer

Rock me down, o starry skiff!
My head tired from waves, so stiff!

Very long I look for abode, –
My head tired from passions, hot:

Laurels – hymns – hydras – heroes, brazed, –
My head tired from senseless plays!

Lay me down mid leaves and grass, –
My head tired from ceaseless wars.

From Mirror's Plane Where...

From mirror's plane where clouds flow
In a dreamy way
I tried to force a path you go,
The final quay.

I see a mast in salty breeze --
You stand by side...
You go by train -- a dusky heath
Yields evening plight...

The evening heath is set in dew,
Crows are bold...
I bless you: let you go to
Four sides of world!

No comments: