-

Comments on Greek painting, art, contemporary thought

Our blog is an artistic, cultural guide to the Greek landscapes. At the same time it offers an introduction to the history of Greek fine arts, Greek artists, mainly Greek painters, as well as to the recent artistic movements

Our aim is to present the Greek landscapes in a holistic way: Greek landscapes refer to pictures and images of Greece, to paintings and art, to poetry and literature, to ancient philosophy and history, to contemporary thought and culture...
--
--
greek artists, contemporary thought, greek painters, literature, greek paintings, modern greek artists



Sunday, November 28, 2010

Comments & Greek artists, Greek painting: When I was in my younger days, I sailed...

Umberto Saba

Ulysses

When I was in my younger days, I sailed
The coastlines of Dalmatia. Isles appeared
In bloom along the billows where sporadic
Birds hung in intent hunger over prey.
Those algae-slippery isles were glittering
Emeralds in gold sunlight. When a high
Tide and the night extinguished them, sails slipped
Leeward to deeper waters to evade
That perfidy. Today I am a king
Of no man's land. The harbor light is lit
For other men. I turn once more to sea
Impelled by an indomitable spirit,
By an excruciating love for life.


Umberto Saba (1883-1957)

Work

Once
my life was easy. The earth
gave me flowers fruit in abundance. Now I loosen ground that is dry and hard.
My spade
bangs against stones in the underbrush. I must
excavate far down. Like someone searching for treasure.

No comments: