-

Comments on Greek painting, art, contemporary thought

Our blog is an artistic, cultural guide to the Greek landscapes. At the same time it offers an introduction to the history of Greek fine arts, Greek artists, mainly Greek painters, as well as to the recent artistic movements

Our aim is to present the Greek landscapes in a holistic way: Greek landscapes refer to pictures and images of Greece, to paintings and art, to poetry and literature, to ancient philosophy and history, to contemporary thought and culture...
--
--
greek artists, contemporary thought, greek painters, literature, greek paintings, modern greek artists



Thursday, August 5, 2010

Comments & Greek artists: without mirage I carry my soul...

Poets & Greek artists, contemporary Greek artists


Yannis Stavrou, Pine Trees in Attica, oil on canvas

But well lonesome and well naked
without mirage
I carry my soul...

Giuseppe Ungaretti

San Martino del Carso
Little Valley of the Solitary Tree

Of these houses
remained
but some
tattered wall

Of many
that connected with me
remained but
not even that much

Yet in the heart
no cross goes missing

It is my heart
the most wrecked village


Giuseppe Ungaretti (1888-1970)

Drowsing
Little Valley of Peak Four


I attend the raped night

The air is riddled
like a lace
by the gunshots
of the men
portrayed
in the trenches
like slugs in their shells

It seems to me
like if a panting
swarm of stonecutters
was beating the pavement
of lava stones
of my streets
and I was listening to it
without seeing it
drowsing

Weight
Mariano

That farm worker
relies on the medal
of St. Anthony
and goes lightly

But well lonesome and well naked
without mirage
I carry my soul

------------------------------

The poems are translated by Dennis Cooper

No comments: