-

Comments on Greek painting, art, contemporary thought

Our blog is an artistic, cultural guide to the Greek landscapes. At the same time it offers an introduction to the history of Greek fine arts, Greek artists, mainly Greek painters, as well as to the recent artistic movements

Our aim is to present the Greek landscapes in a holistic way: Greek landscapes refer to pictures and images of Greece, to paintings and art, to poetry and literature, to ancient philosophy and history, to contemporary thought and culture...
--
--
greek artists, contemporary thought, greek painters, literature, greek paintings, modern greek artists



Monday, February 15, 2010

Comments & Greek paintings, Greek artists: Every man bears the whole stamp of the human condition...

Aphorisms & Greek artists, Greek paintings, Greek painters


Yannis Stavrou, Still Life, oil on canvas

A great mind...

About human nature...

Michel de Montaigne
Aphorisms

  • A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.
  • A straight oar looks bent in the water. What matters is not merely that we see things but how we see them.
  • A wise man never loses anything, if he has himself.
  • A wise man sees as much as he ought, not as much as he can.
  • Age imprints more wrinkles in the mind than it does on the face.
  • Ambition is not a vice of little people.
  • An unattempted lady could not vaunt of her chastity.
  • An untempted woman cannot boast of her chastity.
  • Any person of honor chooses rather to lose his honor than to lose his conscience.
  • Confidence in others' honesty is no light testimony of one's own integrity.
  • Confidence in the goodness of another is good proof of one's own goodness.
  • Covetousness is both the beginning and the end of the devil's alphabet - the first vice in corrupt nature that moves, and the last which dies.
  • Death, they say, acquits us of all obligations.
  • Even from their infancy we frame them to the sports of love: their instruction, behavior, attire, grace, learning and all their words azimuth only at love, respects only affection. Their nurses and their keepers imprint no other thing in them.
  • Every man bears the whole stamp of the human condition.
  • Every one rushes elsewhere and into the future, because no one wants to face one's own inner self.
  • Fame and tranquility can never be bedfellows.
  • Few men have been admired of their familiars.
  • For truly it is to be noted, that children's plays are not sports, and should be deemed as their most serious actions.
  • Fortune, seeing that she could not make fools wise, has made them lucky.
  • He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak.
  • He who fears he shall suffer, already suffers what he fears.
  • How many condemnations I have witnessed more criminal than the crime!
  • How many things we held yesterday as articles of faith which today we tell as fables.
  • I care not so much what I am to others as what I am to myself. I will be rich by myself, and not by borrowing.
  • I do myself a greater injury in lying than I do him of whom I tell a lie.
  • I do not speak the minds of others except to speak my own mind better.
  • I have never seen a greater monster or miracle in the world than myself.
  • I have often seen people uncivil by too much civility, and tiresome in their courtesy.
  • I know well what I am fleeing from but not what I am in search of.
  • I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly.
  • I put forward formless and unresolved notions, as do those who publish doubtful questions to debate in the schools, not to establish the truth but to seek it.
  • I quote others only in order the better to express myself.
  • I set forth a humble and inglorious life; that does not matter. You can tie up all moral philosophy with a common and private life just as well as with a life of richer stuff. Each man bears the entire form of man's estate.
  • I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare, and I dare a little more as I grow older.
  • I study myself more than any other subject. That is my metaphysics, that is my physics.
  • I write to keep from going mad from the contradictions I find among mankind - and to work some of those contradictions out for myself.
  • If a man should importune me to give a reason why I loved him, I find it could no otherwise be expressed, than by making answer: because it was he, because it was I.

No comments: