-

Comments on Greek painting, art, contemporary thought

Our blog is an artistic, cultural guide to the Greek landscapes. At the same time it offers an introduction to the history of Greek fine arts, Greek artists, mainly Greek painters, as well as to the recent artistic movements

Our aim is to present the Greek landscapes in a holistic way: Greek landscapes refer to pictures and images of Greece, to paintings and art, to poetry and literature, to ancient philosophy and history, to contemporary thought and culture...
--
--
greek artists, contemporary thought, greek painters, literature, greek paintings, modern greek artists



Saturday, March 22, 2008

Thessaloniki...



Yannis Stavrou, Thessaloniki, oil on canvas

"...I was born and raised in the center of Thessaloniki during the 50s and 60s, at the corner of Tsimiski and P. Mela Streets -Diagonios.

I have painted my home town many times, trying to hold on to the main impressions, preserving them in my memory.

Through my paintings, I can only transmit some of the aura of this city; its magic, this harmonious unity both cosmopolitan and mysterious, the fogs of Thessaloniki... The privilege of that period's serenity offered me an exclusive sensation of the horizon (the skyline over the sea) and gave birth to my artistic profile."

No comments: